Friday 11 March 2016

Let the Mountain come to you

Recently I was involved in a Regional Toastmasters competition where the standard of speeches was exceptionally high. However, there was one speech that really resonated with me and my life.

The speaker was speaking about mountain climbing and how he kept looking up to see how far he had to go or looking down to see how far up he was. He had a very experienced guide with him but there came a point where he was exhausted and KNEW he couldn't make it all the way to the top. The guide came over to him and quietly said;

"Just worry about your next step and when you have done that one, focus on the one after that. Before you know it, the mountain would have come to you."



WOW...what amazingly wise words. How many times in our lives do we look so far ahead, not noticing there are many steps to be taken before we reach there. Once we set our goal (whatever the goal may be), we need to come back to the now and just deal with the very next step. Every time I do this, I am amazed how easy the complete task has been when it is finished, one step at a time...

With Miss Chloe, I was so overwhelmed when she was born, worrying about what her life would be like when I was gone - I just wanted to hide. This has turned out to be a complete waste of time and energy. I have lost quite a few precious peaceful days worrying. The strange thing is, as every day passed and my little girl developed from a baby, into a girl and into a woman, I have realised that my mindset is nowhere near the place it was when she was born. And her life is wonderful and complete and she will manage exactly as she is supposed to!

Chloe loves her life and feels complete (yes, eventhough she has down syndrome - she doesn't see this as a big deal). She achieves many things that are just out of her capabilities AND she just focuses on the next step. She has had many mountains to overcome in her lifetime and I am sure there will be many more to come.

So, the next time you get an attack of the 'CAN'T or QUIT' just remember - the only thing you need to worry about is the next step, AND before you know it, your mountain would have come to you!



www.idareu.org.au
www.suedymond.com



No comments:

Post a Comment