Wednesday 15 October 2014

Carers stand and be proud


Yes, that means you struggling with your disabled young one and going cap-in-hand to a respite service & being told, there are people out there worse off then you and you should be lucky for the scraps we throw your way.






WELL NOOO, I AM NOT GRATEFUL.

 In fact not only am I not grateful - I think the Government, services & others need to be grateful for me and the job I am doing!!!!!

I gave up a well paid job to purchase a business 12+ years ago, because our Government didn't provide childcare to families once the children go to high school.
Not even to special needs children.
 




This left me, as a single mum of 2 children, with 3 options:




1. Continue working at my job & leave my 12yo Miss Chloe (who has Ds)
    home alone for up to 4 hours.


2. Go on the Carers pension full time (and live below the poverty line)

3.  Find a way to work from home.

I chose option 3 & have been fortunate enough to have had my little business for 12+ years now. This option has given me the opportunity to be home for my children BUT I have never, ever made near the money I was making in the work force. 




"This year, including everything,
I have made under $30,000."


Now I ask anyone out there.....would you look after my special needs child full-time (including feeding, taking to recreational things, holidays, clothing....EVERYTHING for $30,000?

 



The obvious answer is NO!! No-one would do the job carers do for approx $25500 PA
(the pension) YET people seem to think carers are sucking the life out of society.

Think again, peoples...we actually save the Government & everyone
approx $10 million a year in Victoria ALONE!!!







"Sadly for us though, we are treated like a pest and leech by most services."




I was informed by the Guardianship board when Miss Chloes dad killed himself that "CARERS ARE CONSIDERED GUILTY TILL PROVEN INNOCENT".
The reason being that SOME carers do the wrong thing by their disabled loved one. 
Now I don't disagree with this...carers are part of the human race & yes, there are some unsavory characters amongst us (as there are with everyone) BUT why is it that, some non carers who do bad things in society - are considered INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY????


I am not the Lone Ranger when it comes to asking for basics, just to be told that I am not desperate enough & I 'look like' I am doing fine...and "there are people out there worse off them you." WELL REALLY, I am fully aware there are people out there worse off then me BUT I can promise you, if I don't get some kind of help, I will be one of those WORSE off people. 

Is this truly the way we should go?



Only assisting in crisis only
creates more crisis
and much more cost
to society in every way!!!






I am exceptionally proud of the job I have done & do with my girl, with absolutely no family support. I will never ever accept anyone telling me I am not entitled to assistance or I don't deserve, because I KNOW I am an amazing human being, doing an amazing job helping my girl be the very best person she can be.



CARERS UNITE AND STOP LETTING SOCIETY TELL YOU HOW GRATEFUL YOU SHOULD BE FOR NOTHING!!!!!

WE ARE THE HIDDEN HEROES OF THE WORLD....AND I DEFY ANYONE TO PUT THEIR HAND UP TO BE PAID $25,000ISH PER YEAR FOR A 24/7 JOB!!!!!!

HERE LIVES ONE PROUD & PASSIONATE CARER!!



www.suedymond.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment