Sunday 31 August 2014

Smashing Barriers WITHIN Disability


Yes, you read that right....WITHIN disability. 

We always hear about people with disabilities needing to break down the barriers with people without disabilities.

I believe, that whilst this is extremely important, we actually need to find a way to get the barriers broken down within the disability services.

As a mum of a 23yo daughter with Down syndrome, nothing frustrates me more than trying to operate as a complete unit with a multiple of services who have :

a) never heard of each other 
b) don't trust each other 
c) aren't allowed to talk to each other.

This means the clients get drip fed a little bit of information or service from one, then have to go seek (because services have never heard of each other), another service to get a little more information...and on it goes. Trust me when I say...Chloe is not the hardest job...dealing with the services has almost sent me to drink!!!!

I actually try to use an advocate to navigate the mazes.

My question is WHY!!!!!

Why don't services realize a client is not the sum of one thing, but made up of many layers and needs (as everyone is) and be able to at least have a place to directly lead the client to if they can't provide it??


Do they not realize how much money could be saved and OH MY GOD, filtered to the clients if they decided to start trusting each other and pooling their resources!

Imagine if there was a network info website where services could log into to hummm, let me see....download a program for medical forms...Yes, just one universal program, instead of creating one for every service...imagine being able to download a universal form for day respite...the list goes on.

Because this practice is the bane of every carer/clients lives and because services are going to need to start rethinking the way they operate with the introduction of NDIS in Australia, and because I have been taught if I am going to complain about something, I'd best be prepared to be a part of the change, I have decided to host a forum for service providers in the Eastern Region Melbourne to start  breaking down the barriers between each other.








If any service providers in this region are interested, please contact me at: sue@suedymond.com If any other Regions (even Regional) are interested in me hosting this Forum in your Area, please contact me on the above email.

Together we can make a huge difference to families/clients with disability, 
SO lets start!!!!!

Dedicated mum, Inspirational Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment